Thursday, November 02, 2006

Spectrum 14

Ths piece later came to be accepted into Spectrum14: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art. 

Mystery Manor

I  started doing comic covers for a freind that started a comic publishing house called Silver Phoenix. The first series [on going I hope] is called Mystery Manor.
He actually had another guy do the drawing for the first cover and had me paint it.
The drawing was done by Scott Jackson. They at first asked me to redo the drawing, but I thought that it was kind of cool so I suggested that I simply paint it to make it look cool.
This is the drawing:





Because this is a horror type of comic I wanted to give this drawing the feel of those old Creepy magazines from when I was a kid. The comics are based on an actual place in Nebraska that is a haunted house during Halloween so I couldn't really change the building design. This is what I came up with:


At the top of this post is the final cover. I actually liked the one with out the ghosts a bit more but the client really liked them so I let him chose. He liked both and put the one with the ghosts on the front cover and the one with out them on the back. Hope you like...

9 comments:

Jafar said...

Great stuff, nice colors....Love the sky and the building!! Even I like the one without ghosts, better!

Take Care

LakShMi said...

sure looks creepy!!!

aroop said...

NICE..this one has a George A Romero written all over it..i dont understand why you dont have many people commenting on your Blog..with such lovely work that you have put up over here..

Unknown said...

THis is wicked AWESOME!!

joe_s said...

Hey Vince, great idea with the front and back cover change, adds to the mystery.

Wayne Porter said...

looks great! the sketch is solid and your choice of color is spot on. Cheers!

Aira said...

wow wonderful, amazing work
I would be happy if you looked my graduation film!
Thanks

Glenn Lattiere said...

GREAT WORK! I definately agree with you. I like this one better also. It leaves room for imagination of what goes on in the house. The things on the outside prepare you to fear ever entering the house. I like the subtle touches you added such as: the smokey ground in the front of the house, the blood on the stairs, the slight hints of ghosts and wolves in the background, and how certain windows are lit and some not. That's awesome. It tells a great story. :)

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.